Week One Reactions and Skin Biopsy - May 23rd to 28th

This should be a fairly shortish post, I've been lucky enough to not have too serious reactions as of yet, but I have been told that I should expect serious side affects soon, likely next week, so that will make an interesting post. So far, the main being absolutely mad rashes across my body which required a skin biopsy, a million times easier and quicker than a bone marrow biopsy for sure.

It seems my temperatures are properly under check and as I write this on the evening of the 28th I haven't had any temperature spikes for several days, and my blood pressures have been healthy so this is really great news.

Nothing much happened on Sunday 23rd, just the standard load of antibiotic transfusions (See below). On Monday 24th I began to notice a slight discolouration in my forearms, but nothing dramatic really. I also began to have the chemotherapy stomach injections, the G-CSF which I was able to avoid during my chemo round as I didn't need the cancer stimulated to reveal itself, as it was way beyond that with my gummy mouth and chest pains. Instead this is now being used to stimulate my recovery. So from Monday I had those injections in my stomach for 3 days. So far it hasn't kicked in properly and my neutrophils (immune system basically) remains at zero, so this got restarted again today (Friday 28th). I was actually quite nervous about these injections and had it in my head that stomach injections would be really painful, far from it, to my surprise you barely notice. Although this may be due to my layers of fat protecting me.



Tuesday was much the same with stomach injections and plenty of transfusions. By this point the rash on my arms had spread to my legs and was beginning to look interesting. A couple of skin people or Dermatologists by their less creepy names had a look and decided they needed to examine this again on Wednesday and potentially get a skin biopsy. I started being removed off of several drugs that could have been causing it. In non-hospital news the 6aside team weren't able to impress off of last week's big win. But as usual Withers was at the centre of the action and had to be taken off after taking a knee to the face. He's fine now, if anything some improvements.

By the end of Wednesday it had been decided I needed a skin biopsy, the rash was looking big. I look like one of the old boys you see at Spain who didn't use sunscreen and now has leathery lobster legs. I needed to get my platelets and red blood cells up for this, so I was looped into a couple of transfusions in preparation for Thursday's biopsy. This week has been very difficult for visiting, and I haven't seen anyone since Tuesday afternoon. An outbreak of a respiratory illness is in the ward (not COVID, and also nothing I've caused), as such no visitors have been allowed, and I likely won't see anyone until after the bank holiday which is a real shame. But hopefully from next week onwards things will be a lot easier as new rules may be coming in place.

The Biopsy happened in my room just before midday on Thursday. First they find a nice juicy bit they want to take, and I had plenty to choose from. So a bit of my thigh is circled and then placed under a blue sheet. Local anaesthetic is applied to numb the area, and then always a weird bit, I have to be poked with sharp needles to make sure I can't feel it. Quite odd when you think about it, someone trying to hurt you to check that they can't? Anyway, after that the doctor performing the procedure took out a blue rod thing, and she pushed it into the skin. I could feel tugging, but basically what I imagine was happening is that there is a blade within it which is just shredding the flesh into a small ball. Once removed you can see a ball of flesh in the middle of the circle, only small mind you. Then using pliers it is removed. Before it is stitched up there is the weird moment where there is a hole missing in your leg which you can see filling with blood like the world's tiniest and oddest swimming pool. Finally it's stitched up, it was very easy. I was asked after if I would allow for a photo shoot, for medical reasons not Vogue, to be used for medical students etc. So if anyone finds themselves studying medicine and skin reactions and sees absolutely repulsive legs with fancy red boxers, it could be me! Lucky you.

Call me Adam Rashford

Carving a chunk of Gammon out.

Cheeky little hole in the leg.


At the moment writing this late on Friday it feels as though the colour in the rashes are beginning to fade, so hopefully by the next post I may have my legs back. The other good news is that my mouth is a million times better, still not perfect, but I have actually been able to eat some food. Ate a whole sandwich today, crust and all, like a man. Was a bit difficult not going to lie, but significant steps which I'm ecstatic about.

I'm pleased that so far my side affects haven't been too bad, hopefully this is as bad as they get fingers crossed. But I'll see over the next few weeks. Again thankyou all to everyone who has reached out, and please do continue to join bone marrow registers like Anthony Nolan, and if that doesn't appeal, you can always donate blood. A huge number of people in their lives will need blood donations, not just sick people, but also those in car or bike crashes, mothers in labour etc, it's an amazing thing to do and I hope to one day be able to do my bit there. All the relevant links can be found here; https://linktr.ee/AdamRiley

Big thanks to my cousin Alessia joining the Anthony Nolan register!

Shoutout to Vivian!!!!

Some of my fantastic team I've known since 2015. Dr Austin, Simon and Joanna (although her son supports Palace, she only told me that after the pic)

Thank you Lanna, Emma and Kat for the very appropriate hat



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cancer Diagnosis and Admission - End of April to May 12th

Two Very Different Weeks of Side Affects - May 29th to June 11th

Chemotherapy (Round 1) May 17th to 22nd